Tuesday 1 February 2011

Oh My Goodness!!!

I think everyone who knows me is well aware that Chase has now whelped her first litter, with the first being born at 11.10pm on the 31st January, followed by the remaining 7 starting at 2.45am on the 1st February.

Chase did a fab job and got the first 5 whelps out like she'd been perfecting the art for years, but by the 6th whelp she was just totally exhausted, poor girl. I think though that if you saw how big the whelps were, you would agree she was awesome!

The 6th whelp was delivered by our vet at 1.55pm, following an oxytocin injection. We hoped that No. 7 would soon follow, but it was clear by 4.30pm that she simply had no more to give. She was contracting and doing her best to push but it just wasn't to be. Back to the vets and another half dose of oxytocin, but after a good 30-40 minutes trying, even the vet couldn't deliver it. Her calcium level was checked and found to be perfect, so we had no other choice than to go for the c-section.

I was totally emotionally drained by this stage and was so worried for my little angel, she was so weak. Thank goodness for modern technology - she was in and out within the hour, with an extra surprise addition - No. 8!

Whilst she was having her caesar I also took the opportunity to have her spayed. The stitches are all internal so no worries that she or the new Dreamchart's will damage them.

Chase is home now and is being an absolutely fantastic mom. I really cannot believe we ended up with 8 gorgeous babies!!

I will post some pics very soon. Thank you everyone for your amazing support. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment